Since I moved to Cincinnati in 2011, there haven’t been many things I’ve done consistently. I’ve changed jobs, boyfriends, running routes, friends, gyms and hair colors, all with aplomb. Save for running this road race a few times, I’ve kept my Cincinnati game changing year to year. And I’m cool with that.
So it was with surprise that I realized I was heading to Diner En Blanc for the third year in a row. Could it be? Consistency, wow.
- Diner En Blanc is basically a “pop-up” picnic that started in France 26 years ago.
- The event is held at a public, but undisclosed location; the guests don’t know where it is until just before the event.
- Attendees dress in all white (no cream, no ivory) and bring their own WHITE table, chairs, decorations, 3-course picnic dinner and champagne.
- After everyone enjoys their dinners and drinks; there’s dancing, sparklers and debauchery.
- At the end of the evening, everyone packs up all their stuff (including trash) and leaves the location as if the event were never there.
After attending this party for the past two years, my white dress and I knew the drill and were ready to roll.
This year, the location was Fountain Square, certainly public and significant to our little city; but my oh my, was it crowded.
After getting set up with in a long row of friends and strangers alike; it was time to break out the diner of the diner en blanc! My group decided to make big platters of easily shareable food to pass around versus everyone trying to create individual 2-person menus; this worked out so well!
We shared amongst 12 of us:
Beef tenderloins (2)
A HUGE Antipato platter of meats, cheeses, olives and marinated vegetables
Lots of cocktails and drinks
And my contributions:
A smoked salmon platter with cocktail rye (instead of bagels) and all the fixings
and a Shrimp/Grapefruit and Avocado Salad with Endive boats (recipe to follow)
Much as in year’s past; the food, champagne and conversation was flowing.
The sparklers being lit marked the opening of the dance floor.
And open it did. The dance floor, made up for its wee size with some crazy booty-shaking.
Um, yeah, that happened. I was clearly feeling the tunes.
Another year of Diner En Blanc awesome? Check.
I don’t know what 2015 will look like; but chances are; there might be a white dress and a bottle of champers in it.