As I mentioned in this morning’s post; I’ve been happy to settle back into cooking at home this week. For lunch, I put together a simple, but flavorful Tarragon Chicken Salad (utilizing several of yesterday’s groceries!).
- 1 tbs light olive oil (I prefer light to extra virgin olive oil)
- zest of 1/2 lemon, juice o 1/2 lemon
- 2 green onions, chopped (just the green parts)
- 2 tsp fresh or dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar or add another tbs of lemon juice)
- 1/4 lb deli chicken cut in one slice, chopped (see, I told you we had a purpose for the one slice)
- salt, pepper to taste
In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients together, until you create an emulsion (This on its own would make a terrific salad dressing). Next add chicken, mix to coat with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over a salad or on grilled baguette. Serves 2.
- This is a perfect use for leftover cooked chicken or you can ask the deli to give you a 1/4 lb in one thick slice.
- Since this contains no mayo, fear not for picnic-safety!
- Due to the strength of flavors, this could easily be made with tofu for an easy, but hearty vegan meal.